Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Stem cell transplant

Does anyone know if i now have two lots of dna after my transplant? Thanks

Comments

• Hi Gill,

I'm Caroline and I work in the Patient Services team here at Anthony Nolan.

Yes - after your transplant, all the blood cells in your body will have come from your donor’s stem cells. This means you will have your donor’s DNA.

It isn’t anything to be concerned about as your DNA and your donor’s DNA will be very similar. We always select the best possible donor for a patient that has the closest match to their own HLA genes. This gives the best possible chance of the transplant being a success. There will be differences between the patient and donor DNA in other genes, but they are not important for how we select a match.

I hope this helps for now.

Best wishes,
    Caroline

• Thank you so much - nobody has ever been able to answer my question. It means a lot. ?

• I’ve often thought about doing a genealogical DNA test to research my origins and find links to other parts of my family. I asked my consultant som3 time ago abou5 this and she explained that a blood test would show my donor DNA but since most DNA kits use mouth swabs that my saliva would be my original DNA.

Best regards,

Steve