Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Taste

I know this will sound weird but post transpl ant has any one any experience of altered food tastes.pre sct I didn't eat spicy foods but since I have begun eating all sorts.i spoke to my donor to see if he was a curry fan and even as we messaged I was eating a tandoori which is one of his favourites.any comments or remarks would be gratefully received.wonder if it just me being odd but it is strange,my kids think it's funny.

Comments

• Hi Nigel,

Taste changes are certainly common during treatment and transplant but that's due to the chemo. In me I think they returned to normal a few months after the transplant but I wouldn't say it's had any lasting effects like it sounds that it has with you.

I guess there's a little bit of our donor in all of us now, so it's plausible that we might inherit some of their traits and tastes. One benefit for me is that the transplant also cured me of my hayfever which I had suffered badly with pre-transplant. My donor mustn't have been a hayfever sufferer.

All the best,

Steve

• Hi Nigel,

I did have altered food taste for a short while post chemo/SCT (I couldn't eat carrots or tomato soup in particular!?).

I also could't eat spicy foods or citrus fruits, however this was due to mouth gvhd & ulcers.

5 years on since my SCT, I can say that I am able to eat anything now with no altered taste. :0)

All the best,
    Neil