Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

1 year Post-transplant Covid vaccinations

I have now had 2 full Moderna doses of vaccine and am due a third full dose this week. I have heard the imminent double booster will offer better protection against current strains of Covid. I am unclear if I should proceed with 3rd full dose then wait 12 weeks for the booster or miss this and have the new booster asap. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Hi patrickamos,

Thank you for your post. I'm Tom, in the Patient Services team here at Anthony Nolan.

You mention the double COVID-19 vaccine booster. This is produced by Moderna and is called Spikevax. It targets both the original strain of COVID-19 plus the first Omicron variant (BA.1), which emerged last winter.

Spikevax has now been approved as safe for use in the UK. The UK government plans to include it as part of its Autumn Booster campaign - however it has not yet been confirmed when Spikevax will become available for patients in the UK.

As with all COVID-19 vaccination queries, we recommend that you check with your healthcare team re: the timing and selection of your own booster vaccine doses. Your healthcare team will have the fullest understanding of your medical history and they will be able to give the most appropriate advice for you.

The general recommendation that healthcare teams have given is: please accept the booster vaccine dose that is offered to you as soon as it is offered, to give you the best protection against COVID-19 as soon as possible.

But I fully understand you will also want to get specific advice from your own healthcare team for your personal medical situation.

I hope that helps. We have further info on COVID-19 for stem cell transplant recipients on our info page: www.anthonynolan.org/covid. We’ll update that info with any further developments re: Spikevax as they are confirmed. You can also call our Helpline on 0303 303 0303 or email us: patientinfo@anthonynolan.org

All the best,

Tom

Dieseldrinker62HelenSpeedwell
  • Thanks Tom. I will check with the transplant team.