Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Best advice given to me pre - tranplant.

Hi,
Had allo Stem Cell Transplant 5½ years ago & doing really well!
But the best advice given by Haemotolgy Ward staff was ' put on as much weight as possible prior to your transplant'. It stood me in good stead throughtout.

Comments

• I couldn't agree more. Post transplant I lost about 3 stone, dropping from 16 to 13, thanks to a very poor appetite, nausea and sickness which lasted for weeks. Having the extra weight on no doubt helped. In fact in the induction stages of my treatment I actually put weight on, probably due to an increased appetite because of the steroids I was on.
  • I remember well the conditioning week before transplant day- the 3 course lunches and dinners, all the puddings and custard, maybe it was the plan to fatten us up. Things changed about day 5 when the full effects of chemo started to kick in. Then everything went downhill and meals seemed to be for picking and pushing round the plate. But I did enjoy the Complan with ice cream, the cream crackers and ice lollies.
    I too lost about 3 stone on discharge. For the first time in over 40 years I had to send my wife out for a pair of trousers with a 2 inch shorter waist.
    Slowly the weight came back, for me a bit more than before but I put that down to the cakes and the time of year! I used to feel guilty about the cakes but I kid myself that I have earned them. Diets are for tomorrow, life's too short.
  • On doctor's orders, I ate A LOT before my transplant, in the expectation of losing the weight again pretty quickly, but am now on Day +31 and am not far below my admission weight! I suppose it's a good thing that I've been managing to eat, despite not having much appetite and having not been able to taste much due to a bout of 'flu, but who knows whether I'll ever get back to my previous weight... I realise there's still plenty of time for illness/side-effect-enforced dieting, though...
  • I didn't put weight on prior to transplant, and I also didn't lose any weight whilst in hospital. I spent 2 x 4 weeks treating AML and then a further 4 weeks for my bone transplant. I was actually about 2lb heavier! I think you need to be a healthy weight, but able to lose a stone even if you were well without it having a detrimental effect. I could have lost 2 stone and been ok (I wish I had!!!) but as I say I remained the same. We are all different.