Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

My sister

4 weeks ago I traveled to Buenos Aires to donate stem cells for my sister who was fighting a lymphoma angioblastic pheripheric. Today I’m on way in a taxi to Gatwick with my daughter as my sister passed away 2 days ago. They think it was a transplant host reaction as we were 100 compatible what at that time seemed a miracle and they said that the possibilities of death for this reason will be less. I’m hearbroken and I feel I couldn’t save my sister all the opposite and I’m afraid this feelings might last forever.

Comments

• Hi Mariana,
    I am so so sorry to read your news and my deepest condolences to you and your family. What you are feeling now must be completely awful. The transplant process can be very risky and you must not blame yourself in any way whatsoever. My brother was my donor and if I hadn’t have made it, there is absolutely no way I would want him to feel at fault. He is forever my hero for trying to help me. I am sure your sister thought the same. Please be kind to yourself, one day at a time.
    All the very best
    Greg
  • Hi Mariana,

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I echo what Greg has said and that you must not blame yourself. You did everything you could for your sister and gave her a chance of survival.

A transplant is still not an exact science and there is a myriad of things that can happen. Unfortunately sometimes transplants don't work, or there are complications and sadly not everyone does make it. That is not the fault of the donor whether they are related or not, sometimes it is just that way. I guess this is the reason that anonymous donors are kept that way for two years post transplant, but of course when the donor is a family member that anonymity is not there.

I know at the moment you will find it difficult to accept, but I hope in time you can come to terms with the fact that you probably gave your sister the best chance of survival, so please don't blame yourself.

Sending best wishes,

Steve