Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Red cells/ haemoglobin decreasing since transplant

Since my transplant my haemoglobin level has been gradually decreasing I am now on day 105 and my level is around 80, has anyone had this trouble?
I have started the once a week injections to try and give them a boost and hopefully avoid blood transfusions. It is making me very tired and I can't walk far before I am out of breath.

Comments

• Hi Becky,

Sorry to hear that.

I had similar problems with platelets and neutrophils at around a similar time post transplant. My dips were attributed to the effects of Septrin (co-trimoxazole) which can suppress bone marrow function. Are you on this? If you are maybe your medical team could switch you to an alternative e.g. Pentamidine instead?

I hope things resolve themselves.

Regards,

Rob.
  • Hi Rob, my neutrophils and white blood cells are heading in the right direction, they had a slight dip caused by anti viral meds but no its the haemoglobin level which is low, still on the pentamidine nebulisers until the bloods a bit more stable
    Best wishes
    Becky
  • Hi Becky,

From what I remember I had a couple of dips with my red cells during my recovery, even after day 100 which is still relatively early in your recovery. I still had a couple of transfusions to give me a little boost.

As long as your neutrophils are on the up it sounds like things are heading in the right direction.

Keep plugging away and you'll get there. How are things otherwise?

Steve
  • Hi Thanks for your reply, my red cells have been slowly decreasing since the transplant my consultant said the last bone marrow biopsy showed the marrow is making baby red blood cells then who knows where they go? I have had another biopsy to check again, but as you say the neutrophils improving is a good sign. My other problems are all small ones really and some due to all the medications, swelling of legs, acne, skin infections, slight deafness etc
    Hope you are doing well
    Best wishes
    Becky
  • Just an update, my levels dropped to the 40's so I was admitted to hospital, they think my body is killing off the cells due to an antibody they are hoping this will stabilise itself with the help of blood transfusions and immunnoglobin transfusions.
  • Hi Becky,

That must really be taking it out of you and no doubt your energy is very low. Fingers crossed the transfusions and other treatments work and your levels start to climb again.

How are things otherwise? Are your Neutrophils still climbing? You mentioned other issues too which I hope are getting better.

Take care and keep going.

Steve
  • Forgot to update, it turned out I developed heamolytic anaemia were the body is destroying the red cells before they are mature, initial treatment of blood transfusions and immunoglobulins didn't work, so I was given a four week course of rituximab transfusions this has worked and the effects last up to seven months by which time they hope it will have righted itself, if not then it may be more rituimab or the spleen taking out
  • Hi Becky,

Thanks for the update. Lets hope the treatment and transfusions you've had get on top of the problem and things are more stable when the effects wear off.

All the best and please let us know how you get on.

Steve