Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Hi from a New Member

Hi I am new to this forum. I have AML. Anthony Nolan organisation is working hard for me at the moment sorting out a donor.

Comments

• Hi there. Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of support here from folks who are either going through what you are now, or that have gone through it and come out the other side. We all know how you will be feeling and are here to help you deal with what you're going through.

Good luck finding a donor and with your on-going treatment and please keep us updated with your progress. Above all, try and stay positive about the outcome, no matter how hard it feels. More and more of us are beating these things as this forum is testament to, thanks to Anthony Nolan and their fantastic donors.

If you have any questions or observations, please post them up and we'll all do our best to answer them (from a patients perspective!).

All the best,

Steve
  • Thankyou Steve. I have just found your message having spent the morning crying and just placed a question to see if there are any others out there as it does seem a lonely frightening place at the moment. I am indebted to the Anthony Nolan team for searching for a donor for me as obviously many others are.
    Your welcoming message couldn't have come at a better time . Thankyou. I was very dubious about a forum as I was not sure what to expect. I have unfortunately gone through this all before in 2012 with an SCT from a sibling who has refused to do it again this time which is very painful so am incredibly indebted to the prospective donor being lined up for me at the moment. I'm scared of it this time with prior knowledge and it will not be such a good match as it is a mismatch which will be riskier.
  • Hello and welcome to the forum.

It's great to have a new member and I hope you keep in touch, I agree with Steve the forum is here to share experiences and to listen and help each other if we can.

Sounds like you have already had a rough time, you can be sure Anthony Nolan will do their best to find you a donor and things will work out for you soon. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
    It does sound that you already have a lot to share having gone through transplant once albeit with a sibling.

Best wishes for now and please keep in touch. Do you know you can contact the Anthony Nolan patients team anytime and just have a chat, they are really helpful.

Peter
  • Thankyou too to you Peter for welcoming me to the forum. Also for the helpful tip about contacting the Anthony Nolan patients team and your empathising.

I wish you well too in your journey. Am I right that you have reached the 2 year anniversary? I hope all continues to go well.
  • I'm guessing from your siblings point of view it might be difficult to donate again if the last time was unsuccessful. I hope it hasn't dampened your relationship as you do need all the support you can get.

I don't know all the ins and outs but my understanding is that unrelated donors can sometimes be more successful. Mine was a matched unrelated donor and whilst I've had some minor GvHD issues they are now behind me. In fact the GvHD was a good thing in my case because it was also fighting my Leukaemia away at the same time.

I'm Sure your medical team and Anthony Nolan will do their best to find the best match for you and they won't do anything hat would put you at a greater risk. Their goal is to make you better so you must focus on that goal and place your trust in them.

Good luck and please keep us posted. We're here to keep your spirits up and help you through this difficult time.

Steve