Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Hi from a new girl

Thought it would be good to say hello but more importantly thank you. I was diagnosed with ALL in March this year and it quickly became evident that transplant was going to be my best chance of survival. I feel hugely grateful to Anthony Nolan for the work that they do and of course to my lovely donor. I am now day 54 post transplant and things are progressing quite typically, some challenges but I've found this forum to be an invaluable resource in meeting them. It's immensely empowering to realise that others too have navigated similar difficulties, reading their tips & coping strategies has been helpful. Also Diesel Drinker, you are the only other person in my age bracket that I've come across that has had ALL and you are doing well! Long may it continue!!

Comments

• Hello and welcome to the forum.

It's good to hear that you are making progress and you sound positive, there are going to be ups and downs but as you get stronger you will also feel better.

I agree with you about Anthony Nolan, they make all this possible for us. I had my transplant just over 3 years ago, I got in touch with my donor shortly after transplant a note to say, 'thanks' and received a reply. We kept in touch and last year we met up and I was able to thank him in person, it was a great experience for us both.

Just over a week ago we went to a reception in London put on by Anthony Nolan to celebrate World Bone Marrow Donors Day. It was amazing to meet lots of donors young and old and to have been able to exchange experiences. I also met one of the couriers who collect and deliver those all important cells from all around the world, this courier had carried out 162 such trips and he is a volunteer.

Hope you continue to keep well and keep in touch and share your experiences.

Best wishes, Peter.

• Hi there,

It's good to hear from someone of a similar age to me with ALL. I was about 46 when I was diagnosed so probably quite a bit outside the normal age bracket as it is more common in children.

Like you I was considers high risk of relapsing so a stem cell transplant was always on the cards.

It's 3 years in January since my transplant and for me life has returned to normal, though I do perhaps get tired easier than before it all began.

Good luck with your continued recovery and please keep us up to date with your progress and ask questions if you have any.

All the best,

Steve
  • Hiya PyB,

really lovely to hear from you and glad to hear you are doing well post transplant. If you need anything from the patient team here at Anthony Nolan or have any questions we can help with please get in touch on patientinfo@anthonynolan.org.

Also really glad that hearing the experiences of someone of a similar age to you who has ALL has helped you. That is what we hope this forum can give our patients!

Best Wishes,

Billie
    Patient and Families Officer