Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Long term prophylactic antibiotic therapy

Hi all
This is following on from a recent query about lifetime antibiotic therapy after a SCT, by a mum of a young baby requiring SCT. I thought it would be interesting to gauge experiences of people who have stopped this treatment, compared with those who have continued to take antibiotics long term.

My experience is that after discussion with my clinical team I stopped taking them about 3.5 years post transplant, now more than 4 years ago. (I didn’t receive TBI as part of conditioning treatment). I’m afraid I get regular respiratory infections each winter, but I am confident these are practically all viral. I have though required a course of antibiotics on two occasions in the last few years when I was more systemically unwell. Perhaps at my next review meeting I will discuss whether I still need an ‘emergency’ antibiotic supply at home, as the old ones expired a while ago.
Meerkat.