Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Puppies & pets

I'm approaching 9 months post transplant and doing really well. We always promised the kids we'd get a puppy when I was better although I never expected I'd have been having a transplant when this promise was made. Does anyone know at what point post transplant it is safe to introduce a puppy into our family?

Answers

• Hi,
    I would think that you would be better to wait for at least a year and then ask your medical team for advice before getting one.
    Everyone is different and they will know how strong your immune system is,no point in risking your health unnecessarily now that you are doing so well.
    Hope this helps .
  • I'd ask your consultant. My daughter was allowed to interact with our three dogs as soon as she was home post-transplant, but we had the dogs before. My only thought would be to get an older dog (1-2years) already vaccinated and house trained, thus avoiding the inevitable 'poo patrol'!
  • As mentioned previously- I'd ask your consultants. I wanted a puppy so much after my transplant but was told I couldn't have one for at least a year after- the major issue being cleaning up the ****, but also puppies can harbour bacteria and diseases that can be harmful to humans, particularly immunocompromised people. Your consultants will be able to advise when it is safe. I now have a 3 legged cat who I love very much :) Ashling
  • P.s. I'd just like to mention that I didn't write the 's' word there- it's just starred out my comment and I didn't want anyone to think I'm swearing on here!
  • Thanks all, I contacted the hospital and the consultant advice is not till after 2 yrs althought my support nurse said 12 months at the earliest the problem is the hygiene, but also we must assess what is right for our family and life moving on. The lady we know breeds once a year so maybe this time next year we'll take on the chaos of a puppy!
  • We already had a dog before my illness and treatment and the only advice I was given was to be cautious around the dog when I returned home. We don't let him lick us anyway but I probably kept him at a greater distance during my treatment than I used to beforehand. I wasn't fit enough to walk him in the early days after transplant, but even when I was I always made sure there was someone with me to pick up after him when he went to the toilet, for the sake of hygiene. Now, 15 months post transplant I would say things are normal and he enjoys cuddles with Daddy just as we used to. I walk him freely alone and clear up after him if necessary, always washing my hands as soon as possible afterwards.

All of this said, this was a dog that was part of the family beforehand. I think introducing a new puppy to the family could pose a high risk, particularly if they are not toilet trained. I tink you'd be wise to avoid getting one too soon, but don't let it put you off completely. I've found that having a dog around is so rewarding. They are truly man's best friend; faithful and sensitive, and the best company you can have when the rest of the family are out and about.