Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

ALL PH+ awaiting transplant in hospital

Hi,

I am due to have a transplant next week from a matched sibling. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar diagnosis? Also I am having TBI twice a day for 4 days did anybody have this before chemo?

Thanks

Answers

• Hi Lou, welcome to the forum. I had ALL but I don't think it was PH+ and didn't have TBI at all.

I was 46 when I was diagnosed and ended up having an unmatched donor transplant back in January 2013 after 3 months of chemotherapy under the UKALL14 trial. I was in remission after the first months induction therapy but the risk of the Leukaemia returning was high so a transplant was the preferred option. My sister wasn't a match so an unrelated donor was found.

Like most here there have been hiccups along the way but I can look back over 4 years now as though it was all a bad dream and I feel as good as I did before it all began.

How have you found your treatment so far and how are you feeling ahead of the transplant?

All the best,

Steve
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I am really nervous. I have been okay on previous chemo but I have mostly had chemo pills and light chemo iv to get me to remission. I have never been neutropenic so this worries me.

Also, there is a tiny bit of leukaemia left at a molecular level so also worrying whether this will work and get rid of all the cancer.

Glad to hear you are doing well.

Thanks Louise
  • Hi Louise

The thought of being neutropenic is scary, but you just have to be extra careful with hygiene and what you eat. You soon get into the routine, also be careful when family or friends have colds and illnesses as you can catch them easily. Lots of hand washing, I always carry a hand sanitiser gel in my bag too and some antibacterial hand wipes.
    The Anthony Nolan info booklets are very helpful if you don't already have them you can download them or order them to be sent to you to keep.
    Wishing you all the best for your upcoming treatment
    Beckyb