Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Sex and relationships after transplant - Patient resource and blog post

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we have a new patient resource available to download and order for free through our website.

Sex and relationships is sometimes an area not talked about enough when people are looking for support in transplant recovery. In Patient Services we wanted to create something to change that and to help start important conversations.

To coincide with it's release I interviewed transplant recipient Simon and his wife Jo to talk about how his treatment has affected their sex life and relationship. They also talk about how it has impacted on their desire to have a family.

You can read their insightful story on the blog:

https://blog.anthonynolan.org/2017/10/2276/

And if you'd like to order the guide take a look at our publications page:

https://www.anthonynolan.org/patients-and-families/order-or-download-publications

If you want to talk about this subject on the forum feel free to do so here, in this thread.

Best Wishes

Billie (Patient Communication and Insight Coordinator)

Comments

• Hi Billie,

That's a great blog, I read it when the link was posted on Facebook. It give a real insight into relationships throughout the transplant process and so much of what Jo and Simon said is familiar to me, not only through the transplant process but also IVF as that is how we arrived at our twin sons 16 years ago, before my Leukaemia.

Before we start treatment, we're all warned about the effect that treatment is likely to have on fertility and given the option to make 'provision' for having a family afterwards if necessary. Thankfully for me it wasn't something I had to think about as I already had three children and wasn't planning on more! But I can imagine how tough it could be for younger couples who may be looking to have a family later.

One thing that wasn't mentioned was the physical and physiological effects on your sexual relationship. It's probably not really something we think about at the time as all our energy is being put into staying alive and getting better. I for one can say there has been an effect on me physically and on my libido, but again, thanks to my age it's not something I'm unduly concerned about.

There's no doubt the whole transplant process puts a strain on a relationship and is a true test of the strength of the relationship between a couple. The support I had from my wife was fantastic and there's no doubt she got me through the tough times. I don't think I really appreciate what she went through herself and being in hospital and away from home I'm sure I didn't see a lot of the torment she went through, particularly in keeping a normal home life for my boys whilst no doubt worrying about me.

People I've spoken to since have told me they think I'm a hero for beating my cancer, but I always tell them I'm no hero as I had no choice but to go through the treatment I did. The real heroes are those who support us through our treatment, who watch over us while we are ill and who pick us up when we are down; our friends, relatives and most of all our partners.

Congratulations to Simon and Jo, I hope they enjoy bringing up their little one for many years to come.

Steve