Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Long term survivor

I thought visitors to the forum might be interested in the story of my neighbour who has recently passed away.
She was diagnosed wth leukaemia 25 years ago and received a bone marrow transplant (not stem cells in those days) from an unrelated donor. This was done in Nottingham as it was so long ago that Sheffield, where I had my transplant, were not offering this treatment. She suffered quite badly with GvHD of the skin and eyes, presumably as the tissue typing was not as accurate as it is today. However she led a full life, working till retirement, and regularly travelling abroad. She died last week in her late 60s from an unrelated condition.

She was very brave and always an inspiration to me and I thought I would share the story to encourage us all.
Topaz1

Comments

• Thanks for posting this Sue, that's very encouraging. Long term survival after transplant is something I think we all must think about. To think that someone who had a transplant so many years ago, without the advances in techniques since then went on to live a full and varied life, despite GvHD is quite inspirational.

I recall a post a while back on here from another transplantee who was approaching a similar period post transplant and I for one found it very reassuring. Even approaching 5 years as I am now I feel something of a veteran and to think I might reach 25 years or more post transplant (which would take me into my 70s by the way) is a happy thought.

It just goes to show that there's no reason why after a transplant we shouldn't enjoy life and have a life expectancy any less than we might have had before our diagnosis.

Thanks again for posting.

Steve
    Unknown
  • Sue

Very encouraging to hear, I know every time I have a set of bloods I fear the result, it's always good to hear about the success stories. Human nature we tend of focus on the negative stories.

Thanks
  • I, too was really pleased to hear this story. It is good to know it is possible. I went 2 and a half years before unfortunately relapsing. I now face the possibility of a 2nd transplant (if my current chemo gets me into remission) and it is quite hard to be able to look ahead very far. Since this lady had an active life for 25 years, and medicine has improved so much in that time, it does help me feel more positive. Thankyou.
    Jane
    Topaz1