Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Post-Transplant Update

edited December 2017 in Long-term recovery
Hi everyone

I know it feels like a long time since I’ve been here but I thought I’d share with you how well Matthew’s doing .
A year ago today Matthew received stem cells from a very generous person and was given another chance to live, but it did mean we had to put Christmas on hold. And some of the medications he received to build up his immunity did destroy his tastebuds.
A year later and after gradually putting a lot of weight back on (he dropped to 60kg) looking at him now it’s like leukaemia never happened. We are so proud of the progress he’s made. His clinical assessments has also been dropped to once every 8 weeks.
The only thing we want to do is to thank the very generous person who donated their stem cells that saved Matthew. But how long do we have to wait to find out who they are?
We cannot thank the Anthony Nolan team enough for supporting us through all this. You have a special place in our hearts.

Matthew and I would also like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Thank you.

Aimee and Matthew x x x x

Comments

• Hi Aimee,

That's fantastic news and hopefully you guys can have a lot better Christmas this year than you did last. It's amazing how things can progress within a year if all things go well and I'm so pleased to hear that Matthew is doing well.

If you follow the Anthony Nolan blogs at all, there is a recent one which was written following an interview with me about preparing for a transplant just after Christmas (mine was the 10th January). I was therefore very poorly at Christmas preparing for my transplant and it was really tough, so I understand what Matthew was going through last year.

https://blog.anthonynolan.org/2017/11/preparing-for-a-stem-cell-transplant-at-christmas/

Hopefully his taste buds have recovered now and food tastes as good as it did before. I too remember the effect the chemo had on my taste buds and I went off a lot of the foods I liked.

In terms of contact with his donor you can write to them anytime after transplant, via Anthony Nolan, but it must be anonymous within the first two years. After two years if both parties are happy the anonymity can be taken away and you can write directly and even meet up. There's some guidance on the link below.

https://www.anthonynolan.org/patients-and-families/recovery-after-first-year/getting-touch-your-donor

I wrote to my donor a couple of times after my transplant to say thank you, though thank you alone doesn't seem enough for what they've done. In my case I didn't get a reply, which sometimes happens as the donors sometimes wish to remain anonymous. I don't have a problem with that and respect their wishes but I felt it was important to write and say thank you and let them know I was OK.

All the best to you and Matthew, and everyone else here for Christmas. I hope everyone has a peaceful and healthy Christmas.

Steve
  • Hi Steve

Reading your blog really hit hard. I can’t imagine how difficult it was telling your children but I’d like to think they’re very proud of their dad. You’ve certainly come a long way.

You seem quite an inspirational person/guide who would give a few minutes of their time to offer help and words of support to anyone who needs it.

Matthew never really wanted to speak to anyone on blogs due to choice as he is a very reserved man and I respect him for it.

We have an Anthony Nolan rep who’s coming to speak with Matthew at his workplace I believe they want to get involved and get more donors to sign on the register.

But IF we are able to get in touch with the donor it may bring Matthew peace of mind knowing the very person that saved him.

Thank you so much for sharing the links they were very useful and insightful.

All the very best to you and the family Steve

Matthew and Aimee x x