Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Having my first SCT for multi myeloma and very anxious about what to expect.

edited August 2018 in Early recovery
I am being admitted in a few days for my first stem cell transplant for multi myeloma. They harvested my own cells for the transplant. I am having extreme anxiety and was hoping to connect with someone who has been through the same type of transplant for multi myeloma. I am really not sure what to expect. How bad will I feel? How fast will I start feeling better? What should I look out for? These are just a few things I would like to ask someone with experience. Please if you have had this type of transplant, tell me your story.

Answers

• Hi Don,
    I'm one of the community champions on this site.

I had this sort of transplant (autologous) about 10 years ago but for a totally different disease - non Hodgkin's lymphoma. It is different to most of the discussions on this forum which relate to allogenic transplants - these use stem cells from a donor. As you will receive your own cells back again you won't need immunosuppressive drugs or be at risk of graft versus host disease.

I was in hospital for three weeks. The conditioning chemotherapy was very tough and I lost my appetite and developed a sore mouth but did manage to keep eating. After the transplant I slept a lot. It didn't seem to take very long for the neutrophils to reappear, indicating the transplant had been successful. Once home, I picked up fairly quickly and ate reasonably well although food didn't really taste right. I was quite weak and it was several months before I went back to work.

Eventually the lymphoma returned and I needed an allogenic transplant five years later but am now fine.

Hope this helps.
    With very best wishes,
    Sue