Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Afternoon every one, I am just wondering if there is any C.V/ LinkedIn Advice?

I have 2 weeks left on this IT course, we had a mention of branding your self. And i am no good at this stuff even before my transplant and now it makes it 10x worse, to talk to about your self. On the journey i have been through and like many of other people on here has done.
My last job was HGV driver where you didn't really need a C.V and now hopefully i will be going in to I.T job.
I know there C.V builders out there on all job sites but i guess they specific to people who i haven't been through Cancer or transplants which have left with a Chronic illness.

Many Thanks,
Alex

Comments

• Hi Alex

I posted on your previous post a couple of minutes ago. Thanks for creating anew feed. I think there are alot of people who may come up against this question. I certainly did when I started transitioning back into work.

im no expert at CVs but can share my experience. When I started looking for work last year after being 2.5 years post SCT I was nervous and overwhelmed by some of the ways CVs are constructed now. However, I kept it very simple and ensured the relevant information was easy to see

I provided the key details, name, and contact details, I then focused on previous experiences or jobs I had that would fit the job role I was applying for by starting with the heading previous jobs/experiences. I then went on to say "my previous work in education enabled me to build skills around the important of health and safety...... therefore I feel my skills in this area would greatly benefit me in this role"

This is just one example of using previous or new skills in developing a CV.

I would go form a simple format, focus on your skills and interests and how this can benefit your role in IT. There is no obligation to disclose your cancer diagnosis or SCT journey.

Make a note of your positive efforts to finding new opportunities and your recent IT course. All of this shows willingness to engage and learn.

Hope this helps a little

Best wishes

Michelle

UnknownClaire_AnthonyNolan
  • Hi @acripps9,

It's so great to hear that Shine were helpful, and to hear that you are enjoying an IT course - I'm so glad!

Thanks for reaching out for advice re your CV. Great advice from Michelle - and I also agree that this a great Forum discussion that I'm sure many will also find helpful!

I would recommend getting in touch with 'Working with Cancer' - https://workingwithcancer.co.uk/job-seekers/. They offer confidential coaching including career advice for job seekers over the phone or face to face. Depending on financial circumstances, you could potentially be eligible for up to 3 free one-hour coaching sessions from WWC. One of the aspects of coaching is 'Networking, applying for jobs and CV preparation.' You can contact them here: https://workingwithcancer.co.uk/contact-us/

There is also a dedicated Government 'Job Help' website, with some great free resources and advice, particularly re CVs and Cover letters: https://jobhelp.campaign.gov.uk/career-advice/cvs-and-cover-letters/

If you have Microsoft Word - I can see that they do a CV template, which might be a useful starting point for you.

I hope this helps - let us know how you get on!

All the best,
    Claire

Dieseldrinker62
  • Great thank you Michelle and Claire. I will do my best and i hope other people will comment on this too