Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Jogging mates

Hi, I have had a stem cell transplant in June 25th 2014 I feel still weak and I try my best to walk out in the streets for exersice but feel alone and don't feel motivated but I do my best to exersice everyday but like to meet other people to jog and chat.

I would really like to meet other people and chat and jog as it's really lonely.

How have other people manage?

Comments

• Hi Josh

It sounds like the transplant is working well for you. Walking is good exercise and helps to get and keep you motivated.
    I used to set myself goals every few days trying to walk that little bit further but be aware you have the same distance to return. As I got stronger we used to aim for a local cafe, rest up a while and sometimes meet a friend for a chat. If you jogged with friends before could you get in touch with them to meet up and try a gentle jog.

Also you now have a story to tell and experiences to share, you could enquire about a support group in your area or even contact a local Macmillan Nurses centre, they can be very helpful, I had a transplant 2 years ago and have joined a Macmillan walking group, I have met new friends and get out in the fresh air twice a week.

Hope this is helpful, do try and keep motivated and good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Peter
  • edited December 2014
    Hi peter, thank you so much for the advice. I haven't got friends to walk with. I have a Macmillan nurse and she hasn't told me that there is a Macmillan walking group. It feels really lonely at times as I have 2 sisters but they live away and I live with my parents. I really would like to know people my age. I use to go to a coping with cancer group but there was a lot of older ladies and it was really lovely meeting them and hearing they life's but I still couldn't contect with them so I never went back.

Thank you peter. Hope to stay in touch

Josh
  • Josh,
    there are several cancer charities that are aimed at teenagers and young people,shine and clic sargent being two that I know of.
    Google them and see if perhaps even joining their facebook page would help you connect with some of your peers who are maybe going through the same things as you.
    Walking is great for your immune system and good for your mental health ,so keep it up.

Best of luck to you ,hope that this has helped you a little bit,
    Una
  • Hi Josh, you might find this organisation helpful. They organise local walking groups and as far as I know, people of all age groups get involved: http://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/ Anneliese
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Josh,

You're doing really well to be walking about and its great that you are. As Peter says, set yourself small goals, perhaps a circuit that you can do, and aim to complete it a little faster each day. You may want to just walk at first, but build it up to a jog in time. Don't overdo it though.

It's amazing how much a stem cell transplant takes out of you. I couldn't even walk up the stairs when I first came out of hospital, but 9 months after my transplant I climbed Snowdon (with some difficulty I'll admit!).

The groups that have been suggested sound good and I'm sure you'll find someone in your area. I had an advantage that we have a dog, so as soon as I was able I took back the dog-walking duties from my wife and helped regain my fitness that way.

Good luck with your recovery.

Steve
  • Before transplant my wife and I use to go hiking most weekend so finding that the end of the street was a bit of a challenge when I came out of hospital was quite a shock.

I use Runkeeper on my phone to track the distance walked and have been steadily building up in half mile increments. Regular walking is one of things that has kept me sane, there is something about marching through the countryside in the fresh air that really helps.

A year and a bit later we have just returned from a few days walking in Wales and I successfully walked up to the top of a mountain (1000 ft up) for the first time. It was fantastic!
  • Hello Colin
    Sounds like you are making good progress, always good to hear.

I will be 3 years post transplant in May and totally agree with you that walking is a great aid to getting back to normal and building up strength. Also you go at your own pace and gradually build on it. At about your stage post transplant we had a couple of trips to the seaside where we could walk comfortably on the flat. As I write this we are planning a trip to Shropshire near the Welsh border next week and looking forward to some walks. Mountains are difficult for me so unlike you will stick to the lower levels.

My wife and I enjoy walking twice a week with a Macmillan walking for health group. On Wedesday this week I completed my final task to become a volunteer walk leader by actually leading a walk.
  • Peter, that sounds brilliant. Good luck!