Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Pneumonia +141 post 2nd a transplant

My husband has had a chesty cough and feeling sick for a few weeks. The swab they took showed coronavirus and was told if you feel any worse go to an and e as the doctors are on strike so he was told not to come in for two weeks. He went in for his routine appt on Wednesday and after seeing him they have admitted him. He has pneumonia and his Hg has dropped from 89 to 75 his other counts have dropped a little too. When he asked his doctor a while back about doing a bone marrow biopsy she said she doesn’t want to do one as if they find a little or a lot there is nothing they can do. As of yesterday they are now talking about doing one and we are petrified he’s relapsed and there are no more options. I’m really struggling now as I naively thought he was going to get through this . Yet again there is no chance of speaking to any of the doctors and I’m sick with worry.

Comments

• Hi Beaglegirl,

I’m Tom, from the Patient Services team here at Anthony Nolan.

I’m so sorry to hear your husband is going through all this.

Hopefully by now someone from his healthcare team has been able to give you an update on his treatment, and whether or not a bone marrow biopsy will be required.

If they haven’t updated you yet, please do persist in having a discussion with them. Your husband’s healthcare team will have the best understanding of his medical history, how he has responded to treatment so far and the treatment options they are now considering.

I hope you are both able to get some further information and reassurance from his healthcare team over the weekend.

Our Patients & Families Forum is not monitored after 5pm, but we will be back on duty from 9am on Monday. So if we can help further, please feel free to call our Helpline from 9am on Monday on 0303 303 0303 or you can email us at patientinfo@anthonynolan.org

All our best wishes,

Tom

Dieseldrinker62
  • I’ve joust spoken to the nurse this evening and she has said his neutrophils have gone from 1.6 to 0.4 and his white count has gone down to 1. I’m absolutely beside myself thinking it’s relapse or am I not thinking straight and it’s due to infection. Please can some help me x

• Hi Beaglegirl,

I’m so sorry to hear that your husband has had a setback. It’s totally understandable that you would feel concerned about this.

Please do continue to check in with your husband’s healthcare team as often as you can. They will clarify what his drop in neutrophils means for him, and what they are doing to address this.

If you’d find it helpful to talk to us in the meantime, please call our Helpline on 0303 303 0303 and ask for the Patient Services team. We’re here from 9am to 5pm every weekday.

All our best wishes,

Tom