Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Childhood vaccinations

Hi

I am coming up to point 7 months where my vaccination due. I have been told this will be non live vaccines from childhood. I've decided to wait till after covid 2nd vaccination to have these.

For people in last few years what vaccines did you have?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Laulau,

I'm able to access my vaccination records online via my GP so I can confirm what I had.

Diptheria, parts 1, 2 and 3
    Tetanus, parts 1, 2 and 3
    Perissus, parts 1, 2 and 3
    Polio, parts 1, 2 and 3
    HIB, parts 1, 2 and 3
    Pneumococcal, parts 1, 2 and 3
    Meningitis, A, C, W and Y

The only jabs I had as a child that I didn't have again after my transplant were Hepatitis B, Rotovirus, Meningitis B and MMR.

Looking at the dates I can see that they were given over 4 appointments over about 18 months. I had no ill effects from any of them. I also have the flu vaccine every year now and of course have had the Covid 19 (AZ) vaccine first dose now.

I hope this helps,

Steve.

chelle_16Tom_AnthonyNolan
  • Thanks

My doctor is less organised. That's good to know I might ask about shingles vaccine as I had a nasty case of this before.

Dieseldrinker62
  • Hi Laulau,

I am the lead nurse in patient services, thanks for posting about childhood vaccinations.

I thought it would be useful to let you know that shingles is a live vaccine which you can only have after at least 2 years after transplant and with the go ahead from your transplant consultant. Live vaccines are made up of weakened bacteria or virus and in a recovering immune system like yours has the potential to cause mild symptoms of the disease. It is recommended that you wait at least 2 years until your immune system is fully recovered as this is safe and is less likely to cause any symptoms.

Of course still discuss this with your transplant team but this might be helpful in advance.

Best wishes
    Hayley

Dieseldrinker62chelle_16
  • Hi LauLau,

In regard to shingles, have you mentioned this to yiour transplant team? Maybe low dose Aciclovir is an option until you can have the vaccine. I developed shingles on my face 26 months after transplant - not a pleasant experience. I was advised to take Aciclovir for a year afterwards to prevent a recurrence.

Rob.

• Thank you. I will mention to them thanks. I don't want a repeat of shingles it is alful. I take acyclovir 3 times a day 400mg thanks

• About 15 months post transplant I stopped taking aciclovir and about 4 weeks later I got shingles! It has always been my intention to wait and get the shingles vaccine and in hindsight I wish I had!