Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Vaccination for those we live with

Hi

Does anyone know if the person we live with can have the covid vaccination? I've had my vaccine but still feel extremely vulnerable almost 6 months post transplant as my husband who lives with me hasn't had his vaccination so there is still a big risk.
I've been shielding since March which I expect a lot of you have, apart from hospital visits which involved a lot of treatment last year.

Many thanks

Comments

• Hi Laulau1

I am unsure if your husband can have vaccine too. I know it is a frequently asked question amongst others and have heard from other communities that the person (husband/partner) can't have the vaccine and that they will be called up when it is there turn. Obviously that would differ if the other person was also extremely vulnerable.

I can imagine that it is hard and anxiety provoking if your house hold are not also vaccinated yet.

I live alone so can't reflect the anxiety it must be creating. I believe they are getting through the vaccinations quickly and efficiently so fingers crossed your husband will recieve his in due course.

Being in such an early stage post SCT it must be something that plays on your mind. Be reassured that you have some form of immunity building now after your first vaccination.

At the moment all we can do is continue to practice good hand hygeine and keep surfaves clean if your husband is going out to work.

Best,

Michelle

• Hi Michelle

Thanks he works from home. Yes we do all this and he wipes down shopping with disinfectant and all packages. Hopefully this will change

• edited February 2021

Hi Laulau1,

Thanks for your post. It’s Tom from the Patient Services team here.

I’m really glad to hear you’ve received your first COVID-19 vaccine, that’s great news.

You asked whether your husband can also be prioritised for COVID-19 vaccine.

The current situation is exactly as Michelle describes: unfortunately family members are not automatically prioritised for COVID-19 vaccination. They will receive their vaccination in the same way as the general population, i.e. according to their age or medical conditions.

The government justification for this is that there is not yet sufficient research to prove the current COVID-19 vaccines prevent transmission of the virus, i.e. to prove that if your husband contracted COVID-19 the vaccine would prevent him from accidentally passing it on to you. However research in this area is looking very promising. We will continue to update our COVID-19 information page with any further developments: www.anthonynolan.org/covid

In the meantime please discuss this with your GP or hospital team as soon as you can – it is not guaranteed they will be able to prioritise your husband for COVID-19 vaccination but they are able to consider patient circumstances on an individual basis.

At Anthony Nolan we continue to campaign for family members of stem cell transplant recipients to be prioritised for COVID-19 vaccination. Rest assured if there is further progress in this area we will share it.

All the best,

Tom

chelle_16